Among the operations offirst aidcan fall onheart massage. Today, with the help of avideo, we will try to explain to youhow to do a heart massagein an emergency.
There mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and heart massagethey are first aid operations that we often see by watching a movie. Unfortunately, following accidents, we may find ourselves witnessing such events live.
Note: it is always advisable to leave these operations to the experts. If you want to be “ready to intervene” in an emergency, don't look for a video that can show youhow to do a heart massagebut sign up for a first aid training course. In these contexts you may also be enabled to use thedefibrillatorand make a real difference on the pitch.
Cardiac massage: what is it for?
Theheart massageis a technique offirst aidwhich is included in thecardiopulmonary resuscitation(RCP).
The purpose of this technique is tokeep the brain and heart oxygenated, artificially blowing air into the lungs causing, by means of compressive thrusts on the chest, a minimum of blood circulation.
Heart massage: how to do it and guidelines for resuscitation in an emergency. Mouth to mouth breathing and first aid descriptive video.
Heart massage: how is it done?
How to do a heart massage? I just told you that heart massage is a sequence ofchest compressionsalternating with the introduction of air.
The introduction of air is performed with themouth-to-mouth breathingin the absence of other tools. Mouth-to-mouth breathing and heart massage are calledcardiopulmonary resuscitation(RCP).
Theheart massageit consists of a sequence of 30 compression followed by 2 ventilations. This cycle (CPR) should be repeated several times,without interruption, until the arrival of specialized aid.
Before you seehow to do a heart massage, you should know the position to take:kneeling beside the victim. The injured person should ideally be on a rigid position. If the victim is in bed, they should be carefully moved to a hard surface: a soft mattress, for example, would make chest compressions ineffective.
How to do a heart massage
We just explained to youwhat is heart massageand what position should you take in doing thisfirst aid. Another thing to understand is:
- In which area of the chest to compress
- How to compress
- How much to compress
- What speed
- In what ways
All this information is contained in theguidelines. Theguidelinesfor this technique offirst aidprovide that:
- It is necessary to compress in the center of the chest.
- Performing compressions with arms straight and perpendicular to the chest.
- By exerting an "ideal" pressure. How much to compress? The guidelines have 4-5 cm compressions but many paramedics recommend being very energetic.
- Speed is crucial, leguidelinesprovide 30 shots at a rate of approximately 100 per minute. In practice, a frequency just under 2 compressions per second.
- Theheart massageit must be done without ever removing the hands from the chest. It is the pressure exerted that changes but not the physical contact with the injured person.
Compression and relaxationthey should have an equivalent duration. For the effectiveness of theheart massageit is necessary to identify the exact point in which to exert pressure.
How to compress the chest
Place the palm of one hand in the center of the chest, prefer your left hand in contact with the victim's chest.
If you are right, place your left hand in the center of your chest and the palm of your right hand on top of your left hand.
The second hand should be placed with the palm on the hand already in contact with the chest.
Please note: compression is done with the palm and not with the fingers.
Try to locate the center of the chest so as not to compress the ribs.
Mouth to mouth breathing
If the victim has a mouth full of secretions or bloody, mouth-to-mouth resuscitation may be contraindicated. In extreme cases, only heart massage is performed without artificial respiration.
Ideally, heart massage should be interspersed withmouth-to-mouth breathing.
How you do it?
After the first 30 chest compressions, 2 air intakes are performed.
- Rotate the victim's head back and raise the chin.
- With your thumb and forefinger, close the nostrils of your nose. Keep your chin raised with your mouth open with the other hand.
- Take a normal breath and place your mouth around the injured person's mouth and blow the air content evenly into his mouth. The introduction of air should last about one second.
- Remarks *
- Take another breath and repeat the insufflation of air.
- Resume heart massage with subsequent 30 compressions.
About the observations. With themouth-to-mouth breathing, when you let in air, the victim's chest should fill up and, before putting in air for the second time, it should deflate. Observe the chest and when it comes down as a consequence of the air coming out, perform the second blow of air.
Cardiac massage video
Below, an animated video that will show you how heart massage is done and when it is appropriate to do it.
Other first aid techniques: Heimlich maneuver